3 large zucchini
8 oz focaccia or two slices
2 bunches basil
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash, pat dry, and trim zucchini ends. Create noodles using a spiralizer tool.
- Option: Sauté your “noodles” in olive oil over medium-high heat for 4–6 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Wash and dry basil and add to blender with pine nuts, lemon, extra virgin olive oil, and salt.
- Blend until smooth, adding more olive oil and/or water as needed.
- Toss zucchini noodles with pesto and top with Parmesan, if desired.
- Bring 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium heat in pan and toast focaccia in olive oil. Serve alongside pesto-zucchini noodles.
Used with permission from The Integrative Nutrition Cookbook, 2016